Harvest Corn and Wild Rice Cakes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 large organic onion, diced
- 1/2 cup poblano peppers, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 2 1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 3/4 cup organic sweet corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup sliced organic green onions
- 3 tablespoons minced organic cilantro
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup rice milk
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 ounces firm silken tofu
- 1 organic egg
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup chutney
This “up north” entrée is both vegetarian and dairy-free.
- In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook until softened (5 minutes). Add pepper and cook 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add garlic and cook 1 minute. Transfer to medium bowl. Add rice, corn, pecans, green onion and cilantro; toss well.
- In food processor, combine all batter ingredients and process until smooth. Pour over rice mixture; stir well.
- In medium non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Drop 2 tablespoons batter into skillet. Pat gently to form a cake 3-4 inches in diameter and ½-inch thick. Repeat until skillet is full. Cook cakes slowly over medium heat until slightly dry on top and bottom is brown (2-3 minutes). Turn and cook for 1-2 minutes longer. Drain on paper towels. Repeat process for remaining ingredients, adding 1 tablespoon oil to pan for each batch of cakes. Serve with chutney.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.