Grilled Steak & Onion Sandwiches with Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- For the Creamy Horseradish Sauce:
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoons pepper
- For the Steak Sandwiches:
- 2 (1216 ounce) sirloin steaks
- Your favorite steak seasoning
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 ciabatta buns
- Butter, for the buns
- Arugula, for topping
- Make the horseradish sauce by combining all sauce ingredients and stirring well to combine. Cover and let sit in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Season steak with steak seasoning. Lightly brush with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss onions with additional 2 tablespoons olive oil and season them with salt and pepper.
- Place onions in a grilling pan or wrap in foil. Place on grill and cook until onions are softened and beginning to caramelize, about 25 minutes.
- Once steak has sat at room temperature for 20 minutes, place on grill.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, until steak is golden and has grill marks, and then flip. For medium-rare, cook until internal temperature reaches 140 F (another 3-4 minutes); for medium, cook until 150-155 F (another 5-6 minutes); and for medium-well cook until 160-165 F (another 6-7 minutes). This always depends on the thickness of your steak. To be sure, use a meat thermometer.
- Let your steak rest for 3 minutes before slicing.
- While steak is resting, butter the buns.
- Place bun halves on grill, butter side down, and lightly grill for 1-2 minutes. Keep a close eye on them, as they will burn easily.
- Once steak has rested, cut it as thinly as possible.
- Place approximately 2 tablespoons of spread on the bottom half of each bun.
- Top with steak and onions.
- Top with arugula and finally the top half of the bun. Serve and enjoy!
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.