Grilled Cherry Crisp
Cherry crisp might be the ultimate summer comfort food. This recipe feels especially so because you bake it on the grill. It’s so easy to throw together and rustic looking, it just kind of oozes coziness.
It’s also a hot bowl of scrumptious. We especially like how the rolled-oat topping bakes up like a chewy, slightly undercooked oatmeal cookie (we mean that in the best, most tasty way). Its earthy, brown sugar sweetness is perfect with the tart cherries. And about those cherries: They get so nice and plump up on the grill, they seem to burst in your mouth.
This dessert is made for camping. Take it with you into the Boundary Waters or Afton State Park. Before you go, pack everything into a foil pan, close it up, and pack it in your cooler. When night falls, you can put it over the fire and let it bake away — while you tell your tallest tales and most terrifying ghost stories. Not big on camping? It’ll be just as magical at the cabin.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
8 cups pitted cherries
½ cup granulated sugar, divided
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup flour
¼ cup brown sugar, packed
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
8 tablespoons (1 stick) melted Kerrygold
Vanilla ice cream for topping, optional
- Heat grill to medium heat.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch disposable foil pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together cherries, ¼ cup granulated sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch until evenly coated. Pour mixture into foil pan.
- Add oats, flour, brown sugar and remaining ¼ cup granulated sugar to another bowl. Stir together.
- Pour vanilla extract and melted butter on top of oat mixture and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle evenly over cherries. Cover and firmly seal with heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Grill for 25-30 minutes or until bubbling around all the edges.
- Remove foil and grill for an additional 5-10 minutes or until topping is set.
- Remove crisp from grill and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream.