Grilled Beef Tenderloin & Asparagus
Tenderloin steak comes by its name honestly. In the world of steaks, it really is the most tender. It’s also the leanest of all the cuts — no thick layer of fat around the edges to contend with — and it comes without the bone. It’s the civilized, polite, distant-relative-of-royalty steak of the bunch, which is figureoutable from its other name: filet mignon.
You might be tempted to save tenderloin steaks for special occasions and, of course, they’re great for birthdays and anniversaries and life’s important moments. But they’re great on random Tuesdays and run-of-the-mill weekends, too. In fact, they may feel even more special then — why not sneak a little elegance and sophistication into an evening of Netflix and chill?
Our recipe for Grilled Beef Tenderloin & Asparagus is perfect for bringing some fanciness to any dinner, whether you’re celebrating a graduation or the return of your favorite TV show. It comes together in a snap, thanks to our L&B Signature Seasoned Beef Tenderloin Steaks; they’re already seasoned and ready to go, so no work necessary on your part. Ditto the asparagus and lemon. We sell them already washed and prepped, so no chopping required. This meal is on the table fast.
You have to whip up the garlic-herb butter yourself, but the steps are super easy and the effort is worth it. The butter adds richness and flavor to a tender steak that’s already rich and flavorful, creating a truly unforgettable main dish. You’ll have extra herbed butter after the steaks have come and gone. Keep it in the fridge and use it to make garlic bread the next day. Your future self will thank you.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 to 20 minutes
For the garlic-herb butter:
1 stick salted butter, softened
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
¼ teaspoon lemon zest
½ teaspoon flake salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the steaks and asparagus:
2 8-ounce L&B Signature Seasoned Beef Tenderloin Steaks
1 teaspoon L&B Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 10-ounce package L&B Grilling Asparagus with Lemon
Flake salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To make the garlic-herb butter: In a small food processor, combine the butter, garlic, rosemary, thyme, lemon zest, flake salt and black pepper, and mix until incorporated.
- Using gloves, shape the butter into a tube about 3 inches in circumference. Wrap the butter tightly in plastic wrap and chill it in the refrigerator until you need it. Note: leftover garlic-herb butter will keep in the refrigerator for one week.
- To make the steaks and asparagus: Heat a grill or grill pan to high heat.
- Carefully place the tenderloin steaks on the hot grill and cook for 4 minutes. Turn the steak 90 degrees and cook for 4 minutes more.
- Flip the steak over and repeat step 4. (Note: this will yield medium-rare steaks). Meanwhile, brush the asparagus with extra virgin olive oil and season with flake salt and black pepper.
- Place the asparagus and lemon slices on the grill and cook, turning repeatedly, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the lemon has grill marks and the asparagus is bright green and tender.
- Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and place a ½-inch slice of the garlic herb butter on top. Tent the steak with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide the steaks and asparagus among two plates and squeeze the grilled lemon over the top. Serve hot.