Gnocchi with Spring Vegetables
- 1 pound gnocchi, refrigerated or frozen
- 4 medium carrots, sliced in ½-inch rounds
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup shelled peas, fresh or frozen
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan
In a medium pot, blanch the gnocchi according to package directions. Reserving the water, transfer the gnocchi to a medium bowl. Set them aside.
In the same pot, blanch the sliced carrots until al dente, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove them from the water, and set them aside in a small bowl.
In a large skillet, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat until the butter melts and becomes fragrant but is not yet foaming.
Add the blanched gnocchi to the skillet and toss to coat in the butter mixture, agitating the pan frequently to prevent sticking. Cook until the gnocchi starts to crisp and brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots have started to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the peas and toss a few times. Season with salt and pepper.
Take the skillet off the heat, add 1 tablespoon of basil and toss to incorporate. Garnish in the pan with the remaining basil and shredded Parmesan. Serve hot.