Gluten-Free Almond Bundt Cake
Like Loki, the Norse god of mischief, and Puck, the prankster in Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” our Gluten-Free Almond Bundt Cake is a trickster: it’s gluten-free, but you’d never know it. When our chefs whipped this up in the test kitchen, it was so delicious that socially-distanced staff cashed it in record time; no one suspected its gluten-free status.
The cake has a light almond flavor and it isn’t too dense. It’s light and airy, and the crumb is confidently cakey. The glaze adds a sweetness and gives the cake a beautiful finish. Prep is a cool and breezy 20 minutes, so it’s easy to make when cake cravings strike.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 to 60 minutes
For the cake:
1 ½ cups King Arthur Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
1 ½ cups almond flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
4 large eggs, room temperature
⅔ cup milk, room temperature
For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
¼ teaspoon almond extract
¼ cup heavy cream
- Heat oven to 325 F and thoroughly grease a standard Bundt pan.
- To make the cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours and xanthan gum.
- In a standing mixer with a paddle attachment, beat together the sugar, butter, oil, kosher salt, baking powder and vanilla and almond extracts on medium speed until smooth and fluffy, about 1 minute. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl once to incorporate any unmixed ingredients.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time until the mixture is fluffy and light. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl and beat briefly.
- Gently stir in the milk and the flour mixture, alternating and adding ⅓ at a time, ending with the flour mixture. Scrape the bowl once more and beat on low speed for 1 minute. Scoop the batter into the Bundt pan.
- Bake the cake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the cake to a cooling rack, and let it cool in the pan for 15 minutes before turning it out onto the rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze: whisk all of the ingredients together and drizzle over the cooled cake.
Recipe source: King Arthur