8 years ago
Fun facts about bacon
Bacon is one of the most popular meats in the US, eaten forbreakfast, lunch, dinner…and yes, even dessert. And it’s been popular for aquite a while: The earliest records of bacon date back to 1500 B.C! Here are some other fun facts about America’s favorite
salted and cured pork:
- The word bacon means “meat from the back of an
- American bacon is made from the pork belly, which
accounts for its trademark streaks of fat. European and Canadian bacon are
still made from the back meat of a pig, which is considerably leaner.
- 70% of all bacon in the US is eaten at breakfast
- More than 2 billion pounds of bacon is produced each
year in the US.
- The phrase “bringing home the bacon” originated back
in the 12th century when a church in England offered a side of bacon
to any man who could swear before the church that he had not fought or
quarreled with his wife for a year and a day. Any man who could “bring home the
bacon” was highly respected in his community.
Looking for new ways to serve bacon? Here are some
mouthwatering recipe suggestions:
Cheddar Mac ‘n Cheese
Egg and Potato Casserole
Raspberry Chipotle Chicken Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette
BLT Pasta Skillet
Chicken Chipotle Salad
Bacon Blue Cheese Burgers