Fresh Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons garlic flavored olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 3 pounds very ripe tomatoes, peeled, squeezed to remove seeds, quartered
- 6 ounce Tomato Paste
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 cups Veal Stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- basil strips
- Basil Cream, (recipe below)
Ripe tomatoes will enhance the flavor of this soup.
- In large kettle, heat oil over medium-high heat. Stir in onion and garlic, cook until softened (about 5 minutes). Stir in next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered 20 to 25 minutes. Cool slightly. Puree soup in blender in small batches. Return soup to kettle; heat through. Ladle soup into bowls, swirl 1 tablespoon Basil Cream (recipe below) through soup. Sprinkle with basil strips.
- Basil Cream: In small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream to a boil. Stir in 3 sprigs fresh basil and 1 large clove garlic, quartered. Boil gently 8 minutes. Remove from heat; cover pan and let infuse until cooled. Strain and refrigerate.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.