A healthier take on traditional orange chicken, sautéed instead of breaded and fried. This flavorful dish marinates overnight in a simple sauce and cooks up in just 15 minutes. Delicious made with sweet Sumo citrus or navel oranges.
Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus 4 hours marinating time
8 ounces all-natural organic chicken breast, cubed
1 Sumo citrus or 1 large orange, juiced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 ½ tablespoons honey
1 serrano pepper, minced (use less for less heat)
Dash kosher salt
Couple of turns of freshly cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon peanut oil or canola oil
2 green onions, sliced
- Place all ingredients except peanut oil and green onions in bowl or Ziploc bag and mix together, then cover and place in refrigerator to allow to marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat a wok or nonstick skillet to medium-high and add peanut/canola oil.
- Add the chicken a few pieces at a time and then turn to coat and begin cooking, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the marinade to the wok or skillet, mix with the chicken and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, continue cooking until marinade is reduced by half and chicken is cooked through, at least 3 minutes or more.
- Add green onions and turn to coat.
- Serve over brown rice with additional green onions to garnish, if desired.
Recipe source: The Enchanted Cook