6 years ago
Hearty Homemade Tomato Soup
This delicious, stick-to-your-ribs soup is chock full of rice and vegetables. Serve with your favorite grilled cheese sandwich.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup carrots, chopped
- ¼ celery stalk, chopped
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans Red Gold Petite Diced Tomatoes Garlic & Olive Oil or 2 (14.5-ounce) cans Red Gold Diced Tomatoes Basil, Garlic & Oregano
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup white rice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- Melt butter in large soup kettle over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add carrots and celery; cook and stir 7 to 9 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in petite diced tomatoes, chicken broth, white rice, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, black pepper and hot pepper sauce.
- Reduce heat to low and cook about 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Recipe source: Red Gold Tomatoes