Espresso Cupcakes with Baileys Buttercream Frosting
- For the cupcake batter:
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 4 shots espresso or ½ cup strong coffee (cooled) with 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder mixed in
- For the frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
Heat oven to 350 F.
Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a stand mixer, combine butter and 1 cup of sugar; beat until soft and fluffy.
Add the whole egg, yolk and vanilla; beat until combined.
With mixer on low speed, slowly add in flour mixture, milk and espresso, alternating ¼ cup at a time until gone.
Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Fill each liner ⅔ full with cupcake batter and bake for 15-20 minutes.
In a stand mixer, beat together butter, Baileys, milk and vanilla until smooth.
With the mixer on low speed, mix in confectioners sugar ½ cup at a time until desired consistency is reached.
Remove cupcakes from muffin tin; spread frosting evenly on top.