Elegant Potatoes au Gratin
- 2 1/4 pounds medium red or white potatoes, (2.25 lbs = 7-8 potatoes)
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Butter or Margarine, softened
A do-ahead for company.
- Boil potatoes in jackets until tender, (8-10) minutes. Cool, peel and shred using medium grater. Shred cheese with same grater. Butter 2-quart casserole. Alternate layers of potatoes and cheese in casserole; sprinkle with salt. Pour cream over potato-cheese layers. Combine crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 F oven until heated through (55-65 minutes).
- Variation: One (2 pound) package frozen southern-style hash brown potatoes, thawed, can be substituted for red potatoes. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 F oven 65-75 minutes.
- Tip: To make soft bread crumbs, remove crust from a piece of bread. Chop into crumbs in a food processor.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.