Eggs Baked With Leeks And Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 3 medium leeks, (about 1 1/2 pounds), coarsely chopped
- 1 carton sliced fresh mushrooms, 8 ounce
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped marinated sun-dried tomatoes
- 12 Eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 package 6 cheese Italian recipe blend, divided, 8 ounce
- 1 package fresh basil, snipped (about 1/3 cup), 1/2 ounce
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- - fresh Italian parsley sprigs
- In large skillet, melt margarine over medium-high heat. Add leeks; saute until tender (about 5 minutes). Stir in mushrooms; cook until tender (about 3 minutes). Stir in sun-dried tomatoes. Spread in bottom of buttered 9x13 inch glass baking dish. In large bowl, whisk eggs, half and half, 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- To Serve: Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until top is lightly browned and center is set (40-45 minutes). Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Continue baking just until cheese is melted (about 2 minutes). Garnish with parsley. Let stand 5 minutes; cut into squares.
Prepare leeks by cutting off the root ends and leaves to just above where they are pale green. Discard coarse outer leaves. Cut down the center of the leek within 1 inch of base. Gently spread out leaves; rinse under cold running water and drain thoroughly.