Egg and Ham Brunch
- 6 slices bread, cubed
- 1 pound pre-cooked ham, cubed
- 1/2 pound Cheddar cheese, cubed
- 3 Eggs
- 2 cups Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 pound margarine or butter
- Lightly grease a 9 X 13" baking pan.
- Put cubed bread and ham and cheese in the pan.
- Beat eggs together with dry ingredients, and gently pour mixture into pan.
- Melt butter or margarine and pour over all.
- Cover baking pan and refrigerate overnight.
- Uncover and bake one hour at 325 degrees.
- Reduced Sodium: Use only 1/4 lb. of ham, sliced into ribbons to garnish on top. Use unsalted butter. Use low-sodium cheese. Increase mustard to 1 teaspoon. If desired, use low sodium bread or rolls. 303 mg sodium per serving.
- Reduced Cholesterol: Use 95 percent fat-free ham. Replace eggs with 6 egg whites and a few drops of food coloring, or imitation egg substitute. Use margarine. Use skim milk. Use low fat yellow cheese. 32 mg cholesterol per serving.
- Reduced Calorie: Use 95 percent fat-free ham. Use skim milk. Omit butter and margarine. Use low-fat cheese. 259 calories per serving.
- Diabetic Exchange (for original recipe): 1/4 milk exchange & 2 1/2 medium-fat meat exchanges & 1/2 starch exchange & 3 fat exchanges
(Prepare recipe ahead, refrigerate overnight, and bake in the morning.)