Easy Homemade Flour Tortillas
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup shortening or lard
- 1 ¼ cups hot water
- In a food processor, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add shortening ½ teaspoon at a time, pulsing the mixture together until combined but not overmixed.
- Slowly add the hot water and pulse until a sticky dough forms.
- Turn wet dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 10-12 equal parts.
- Lightly flour the dough and roll into balls; gently press to flatten them slightly.
- Cover with a damp (not wet) tea cloth or linen and rest for 30 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out dough balls until they are about the thickness of a penny.
- Heat a skillet or sauté pan to medium-high heat. One at a time, place tortillas in the pan and cook for 30-45 seconds. Flip and cook for another 30 seconds. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.