Dressing with Seasoned Sausage and Mushrooms
- 1 bunch celery, separated into stalks and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons Chef Sid's Culinary Secrets Chicken Stock
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 small onions, peeled and quartered
- 3/4 pound Byerly's Sage Pork Sausage
- 1 8 oz package sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup Butter or Margarine
- 1 1 lb package saltine crackers, coarsely crushed
- snipped parsley
- Cut celery stalks into 3- to 4-inch pieces. Stir chicken stock into hot water; stirring until dissolved
- Pour 1 cup chicken stock into blender or food processor. With blender running, gradually add half the celery and onion pieces; puree until smooth. Repeat with remaining 1 cup chicken stock, celery and onion. Set aside.
- In large skillet, cook coarsely crumbled sausage until no longer pink (do not overcook; sausage continues to cook as dressing bakes.) remove sausage from skillet; reserving drippings.
- Saute mushrooms in drippings until softened (about 5 minutes); drain. In same large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add celery mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In large bowl, combine crackers and celery mixture; blend until crushed crackers are moistened. Fold in sausage and mushrooms. Spoon into lightly greased 3-quart baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 F oven until mixture is lightly browned and registers 165 F (45 to 50 minutes). Garnish with parsley.
- Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight. Bring to room temperature (about 1 hour). Bake as directed.
To make ahead
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.