Dark Chocolate Plum Cake
Servings:*1 9-inch round cake
- ¾ cup unsalted organic butter, melted
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 4 large organic eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup Bob’s Red Mill organic white unbleached flour, sifted
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- ⅔ cup almond flour, sifted
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (60% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- 4 large ripe plums, halved
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons plum preserves or jam
- 18 whole pecans
- ½ cup chopped pecans
Heat oven to 350 F.
Grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform cake pan. Line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper. Grease the top of the parchment paper, too.
Whisk together the melted butter and maple syrup. Gradually whisk in the eggs, making sure the melted butter has cooled enough to not curdle the eggs.
Fold in the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, cocoa and almond flour, followed by the dark chocolate.
Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Arrange the plums decoratively on top, cut side up.
Arrange the whole pecans decoratively, then sprinkle with the chopped pecans and coconut sugar.
Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan.
Before serving, melt the preserves or jam in a small pan with a splash of water. Brush over the top of the cake.
Optional: Serve with organic whipped cream sweetened with maple syrup, if desired.