Dark Chocolate Plum Cake
Made with wholesome ingredients for the perfect guilt-free dessert. Wonderful for the holidays!
Makes one 9-inch round cake
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes
¾ cup unsalted organic butter, melted
¾ cup maple syrup
4 large organic eggs, beaten
¾ cup Bob’s Red Mill organic white unbleached flour, sifted
¼ cup wheat germ
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ cup cocoa powder, sifted
⅔ cup almond flour, sifted
4 ounces dark chocolate (60% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
4 large ripe plums, halved
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
3 tablespoons plum preserves or jam
18 whole pecans
½ cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform cake pan. Line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper. Grease the top of the parchment paper, too.
- Whisk together the melted butter and maple syrup. Gradually whisk in the eggs, making sure the melted butter has cooled enough to not curdle the eggs.
- Fold in the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, cocoa and almond flour, followed by the dark chocolate.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Arrange the plums decoratively on top, cut side up.
- Arrange the whole pecans decoratively, then sprinkle with the chopped pecans and coconut sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan.
- Before serving, melt the preserves or jam in a small pan with a splash of water. Brush over the top of the cake.
- Optional: Serve with organic whipped cream sweetened with maple syrup, if desired.