Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwich
The sandwich is a lunch staple that always satisfies, whether you slather bread with peanut butter and jelly or stack sourdough with Provolone and smoked turkey. It makes a fast, filling and delicious meal, and one you can custom build every time. Prefer more mayo? Go for it! Wanna skip the sauerkraut on your Reuben? We won’t tell!
That’s all to say: the sandwich is well near perfect. So we hope you’ll consider our Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwich less an improvement on this ideal food (how could there be one?) and more a humble contribution to the storied sandwich tradition. That said, it’s a phenomenal sandwich, if we do say so ourselves.
The creamy mayo base is flavored with a turmeric-forward spice blend, which is savory, earthy and comforting. It gives the salad a brilliant yellow hue, too, so it’s as pretty to look at (or post to social media) as it is delicious to eat. Then we packed the salad with fresh fixings like celery, green onion, raisins and pistachios, giving it the sweetness and crunch you’d expect from a chicken salad while keeping it vegetarian. Fresh cilantro and juicy-sweet tomatoes add a brightness, and toasted L&B Artisan Minnesota Nice Multigrain Artisan Bread and crispy spinach add another layer of texture.
The salad only takes 10 minutes to whip up, so it’s almost as quick and easy as stacking up cold cuts, and you can customize it anyway you like. Add more tomato slices or skip them entirely. Double the amount of spinach. Be scandalous and don’t toast the bread — although we highly suggest you do. The crispy multigrain slices with the creamy, slightly chewy salad is unforgettable.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
½ cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
¾ teaspoon ground turmeric
¾ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Black pepper, to taste
⅓ cup chopped pistachios
¼ cup raisins
2 green onions, sliced thin
2 tablespoons finely diced celery
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
4 slices L&B Artisan Minnesota Nice Multigrain Artisan Bread
1 ounce spinach, divided
1 heirloom tomato, cut into 8 slices
- Place the chickpeas in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Using a potato masher or the back of a fork, mash half of the chickpeas into a paste, leaving the remaining half of the chickpeas whole.
- Add the mayonnaise, Dijon, lemon juice, spices, salt and pepper to the mixing bowl, and stir to combine.
- Stir in the pistachios, raisins, green onions, celery and cilantro. The chickpea mixture can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Toast the bread until golden brown.
- Top each sandwich with ½ the chickpea mixture, half the tomato slices and a pinch of spinach. Serve immediately.