Creamy Tomato Soup with Basil
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 2.5 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup Flour
- 14 cups hot water
- 3.5 tablespoons chicken base or instant bouillon
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1(12oz) can Tomato Paste
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 cup half-and-half, heated
- 2(1/2oz) packages fresh basil, snipped
Fresh basil adds a delightful touch
- In a heavy 7 quart Dutch oven, melt margarine.
- Saute onions and celery until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Blend in flour.
- Gradually stir in water until mixture is smooth.
- Blend in chicken base, sugar, tomato paste and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil; boil and stir 1 minute.
- Reduce heat, simmer 10 minutes.
- Strain, discarding vegetables.
- Return soup to Dutch oven. Stir in half-and-half and basil. Heat through(3-5 minutes).
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.