Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Skillet
A standard-issue chicken dinner gets a glow up in this recipe from Twin Cities food blogger greens & chocolate. It’s a whole meal in one pan (easy cleanup!), and the chicken always comes out moist and tender. Because it’s on the table in 30 minutes, it’s perfect for busy weeknights.
Chicken dinners can be hard to get right. They can be lacking flavor and the chicken can end up dry, but with dishes like this Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Skillet, that’s about to change. This chicken skillet is absolutely full of flavor from the addition of sun-dried tomatoes, onion, Italian seasoning, garlic and Parmesan cheese, and the chicken turns out tender and perfectly cooked.
This entire meal is made in one skillet and can be done in about 30 minutes. Not only does it have chicken and sun-dried tomato cream sauce, but little baby potatoes also cook in the skillet, truly making this a one-skillet dinner. We’re talking big-time comfort food, hardly any dishes to clean up and a full and happy family!
I like serving this skillet meal with some fresh bread and butter, which leaves my family perfectly satisfied. If you’re looking to add a few more veggies to the meal, serve it with an easy side salad or some roasted Brussels sprouts.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
3-4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ pounds small new potatoes, halved
½ yellow onion, diced
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (in oil)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup heavy cream
2 cups baby spinach
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board and pound them until ½”-thick.
- Heat olive oil in a large cast-iron or deep, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Note: I have also used a Dutch oven for this recipe.
- Add the chicken breasts and brown for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. They don’t need to be cooked through. Remove the chicken and set aside on a plate.
- Add the potatoes, onions, sun-dried tomatoes, salt, Italian seasoning and garlic powder and stir well to combine. Stir in the chicken broth. Return the chicken to the pan, tucking it in with the potatoes.
- Cover and cook over medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender. Remove the chicken breasts and set them aside.
- Stir in the cream, baby spinach and Parmesan cheese and cook until spinach is wilted.
- Serve the chicken breasts with the creamy potato mixture, topped with additional cream sauce. Enjoy!