Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Servings:*16 1/2 cup servings
- 5 pounds bag red potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Milk
- 2/3 cup half-and-half, whipping cream or milk
- 6 tablespoons margarine or butter
- Peel potatoes; cut into 1½ inch cubes. Place potatoes in large Dutch oven. Cover with water; add salt. Bring to a boil, covered, over high heat; simmer until tender (25-30 minutes).
- In small saucepan, heat milk, half-and-half and butter until butter is melted; reserve and refrigerate ½ cup. Drain potatoes quickly and thoroughly. Wipe excess moisture from pan. Return hot potatoes to hot pan; quickly mash with hand potato masher. Beat hot milk mixture into potatoes until desired consistency (all liquid may not be needed). Spoon into buttered 2½-3 quart casserole; smooth top. Cover and refrigerate.
- Remove from refrigerator and bring to room temperature (about 2 hours). Pour reserved ½ cup milk mixture over top. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 F oven until hot (35-40 minutes). Remove from oven; stir. Garnish with paprika.
Tip: A hand potato masher produces the best results. An electric mixer can cause the potatoes to become "gummy" or "sticky". If an electric mixer is used, use on the lowest mixer speed and do not over mix. May be heated in the microwave. Microwave (HIGH), covered, until heated through (12-13 minutes), rotating twice; stir.
Recipe tested in 650-700 watt microwave oven.