Creamy Chicken with Asparagus & Peas
Tender chicken, crispy bacon and fresh spring vegetables with a creamy white wine sauce. Delicious served on a bed of basmati rice or with a green salad.
Preparation time: 1 hour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 to 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 strips of bacon, diced
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ bunch asparagus, tough ends removed, chopped
½ cup fresh or frozen peas
½ cup sliced mushrooms
¼ cup white wine
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
2 ounces chèvre (goat cheese)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped, for garnish
- In a medium skillet, heat oil to medium high heat.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Cook on each side until golden brown but not cooked all the way through, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add bacon to the pan; sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until bacon fat has mostly rendered.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until bacon is crispy.
- Toss in asparagus, peas and mushrooms; sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add white wine and bring to a simmer, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Add chicken stock and heavy cream; return to a simmer.
- Whisk in chèvre.
- Return chicken breasts to the skillet and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with fresh chopped tarragon to serve.