Country Breakfast Casserole
From our original The Best of Byerly’s cookbook! A creamy blend of cheesy potatoes and spicy sausage, served with your favorite L&B salsa.
Preparation time: 1 hour 15 minutes, plus refrigeration time (can be overnight)
2 (12-ounce) packages frozen hot pork sausage, thawed
1 (2-pound) package frozen southern-style hash brown potatoes
1 cup minced onion (about 1 medium onion)
2 cups milk
2 (8-ounce) packages shredded Colby-Jack cheese (4 cups), divided
½ teaspoon salt
6 eggs, slightly beaten
L&B salsa, any variety
- Grease 9×13 baking dish.
- In medium skillet, brown sausage; drain.
- In large bowl, combine sausage, hash browns, onion, milk, 3 cups of the cheese, salt and eggs.
- Pour mixture into greased baking dish. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Bake, uncovered, until knife inserted near center comes out clean (50-55 minutes). Let stand 10 minutes, covered. Cut into squares and serve warm with salsa.