Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 1 (34 pound) corned beef brisket
- 6 black peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 onions
- 6 potatoes, peeled, halved
- 6 carrots
- 1 head cabbage, cut in 6 wedges
A boiled dinner...full of good nutrients.
- Place meat in large Dutch oven or heavy pan; cover with water (1 1/2-2 quarts). Add peppercorns, cloves, garlic and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer 2 1/2-3 hours. Add onions, potatoes and carrots, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add cabbage, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender (about 20-25 minutes).
- To Serve: Remove vegetables with slotted spoon to large platter. Slice meat at a slight angle into 1/8 inch slices and serve on platter with vegetables.
- Tips: Cooking liquid may be frozen for soup stock...check for salt content. Use leftover corned beef in casseroles, salads and sandwiches.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.