Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Another delicious way to use zucchini, with a crunchy topping that can’t be beat. This tote-along treat from The Best of Byerly’s original cookbook is perfect for picnics, potlucks, barbecues…or just Sunday night supper at home.
Preparation time: 1 hour 15 minutes
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup vegetable oil
1 ¾ cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup buttermilk
2 ½ cups flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup chopped nuts
- Grease and flour a 9×13 baking pan.
- Heat oven to 325 F.
- Cream butter, oil and sugar; blend in vanilla, eggs and buttermilk.
- Combine dry ingredients; stir into creamed mixture with zucchini.
- Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts.
- Bake until cake tests done with a wooden pick, about 50 minutes. Cool on wire rack.