Chocolate Peppermint Whoopie Pies
Servings:*20 whoopie pies
- For cookies
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Milk
- For filling
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- 2 tablespoons Milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- red food coloring
- crushed candy canes
- For the cookies: Heat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, add flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; mix until combined. In separate large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and beat for two more minutes. Add half of the flour mixture and half of the milk and beat on low until incorporated. Repeat with remaining flour and milk and beat until combined. Drop batter on prepared baking sheets in tablespoon clumps, each about two inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes each or until pies spring back when pressed gently. Cool for about five minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
- For the filling: In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat together butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add marshmallow fluff, milk and peppermint extract; beat another 2 minutes. Remove about half of the filling that will remain white. Add a few drops of red food coloring to the remaining filling and beat until combined. Add more until desired color is attained. Spread or pipe filling onto half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies. Place crushed candy canes in a shallow bowl or on a plate and roll the cookie filling in crushed candy canes. Serve and enjoy!
- Recipe by: greens & chocolate | http://www.greensnchocolate.com/
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.