Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake
This delightfully moist, rich coffee cake is wonderful for brunch and equally delicious for dessert!
Preparation time: 1 hour 30 minutes, including 40-50 minutes baking time
For the cake:
½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs, separated
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
¾ teaspoon table salt
For the filling/topping:
2 cups or 12 ounces semi- or bittersweet chocolate chips or coarsely chopped chocolate bars
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 9×13 baking pan. If not nonstick coated, cover the bottom with a rectangle of parchment paper. Set pan aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 ½ cups sugar. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together into a separate bowl.
- Alternately mix in sour cream and then dry ingredients into butter mixture until both are used up and the batter is smooth and very thick.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, then fold into batter.
- In a small dish, whisk together sugar and cinnamon for filling and topping.
- Spread half the cake batter in the bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of cinnamon-sugar mixture and 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Dollop remaining cake batter over filling in spoonfuls. Use a rubber or offset spatula to gently spread it over the filling and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle batter with remaining cinnamon-sugar and remaining chocolate chips.
- With the palm of your hand, ever-so-gently press the chocolate chips a bit into the batter. No need to submerge them, you just want to make sure they adhere a bit.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, rotating halfway through, until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Recipe source: Smitten Kitchen