Chicken - Roasted
- 1 roasting chicken, (4 1/2 pound chicken)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, or thyme, crumbled
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, crushed
- 1 small onion, peeled, quartered
- safflower oil
- kitchen twine or cotton string
- Pan Gravy, below, optional
The best of the basics - a plump roasting chicken sprinkled inside and out with savory seasonings and baked to perfect tenderness.
- Remove neck and giblets from cavities, if present. Rinse chicken with cold water; drain. Pat dry with paper towels. Combine salt, pepper and rosemary. Divide mixture in half; sprinkle half into cavities, reserving remainder. Arrange garlic and onion in cavity. Run string under and around body, tying wings to body. Tie legs together in same manner. Place, breast side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Brush with oil. Evenly sprinkle on remaining salt and rosemary mixture. Inserve meat thermometer into thickest part of inner thigh, not touching bone. Roast in a preheated 375 F oven 1 hour. Remove from oven, carefully cut string holding drumsticks together (so thighs will cook evenly). Return chicken to oven. Roast until meat thermometer reaches 180 F or until juices run clear (15-30 minutes longer). Drain juices from cavity into roasting pan. Remove chicken and rack from pan; cover chicken with foil. Let stand 10 minutes. Meanwhile, make Pan Gravy. Carve chicken; serve with Pan Gravy.
- Pan Gravy: Drain of fat in roasting pan, reserving 1/4 cup and browned particles. Blend in 1/4 cup flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until bubbly and lightly browned. Gradually stir in 2 cups chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until gravy boils and thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Tips: One (3 1/2 pound) whole fryer chicken may be substituted for roasting chicken.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.