Chicken N Dumplings
- 3-3 1/2 pound frying chicken, cut-up
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 cup sliced onion, (1 medium)
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cups Water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 6 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Fluffy Dumplings, (below)
Down home goodness.
- In Dutch oven or large skillet, brown chicken in oil. Add next 7 ingredients. Bring to a boil; simmer, covered, over low heat 25 minutes. Add carrots, simmer until tender (about 20 minutes). Skim off excess fat. Dissolve flour in cold water. Stir into chicken mixture; bring to a boil. Drop dumplings (below) by tablespoons over top of chicken mixture. Simmer, covered (without lifting lid), 15 minutes. Dumplings are done when no longer doughy underneath.
- In mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg and 1 tablespoon snipped parsley. Stir in 2/3 cup milk, 1 slightly beaten egg and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil only until dry ingredients are moistened. Amount: 8-10 dumplings
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.