Chicken Chili Verde
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, skinless, boneless, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 teaspoons Kosher Salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoons Black Pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups diced white onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 12 tomatillos, husked, coarsely chopped
- 4 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can 30 percent less salt chicken broth
- shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- chopped cilantro leaves
- sour cream
- lime wedges
Warm flour tortillas are the perfect accompaniment to this spicy dish.
- In medium bowl, combine chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add flour to chicken and toss to evenly coat. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken to pan and saute until golden brown on all sides (about 5 minutes). Remove chicken. Add another 1 tablespoon oil and remaining chicken to Dutch oven and saute 5 minutes. Remove chicken. Add 1 more tablespoon oil to pan. Stir in onion and saute until onions are soft (3-5 minutes). Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Stir in tomatillos, poblanos, serranos, cumin, chipotle, oregano, cayenne pepper, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Saute 1 minute. Add chicken broth and reserved chicken. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until mixture thickens (30 minutes).
- To Serve: Ladle chili into bowls, garnish with shredded cheese, cilantro, a dollop of sour cream and a lime wedge.
- Tip: To roast poblano peppers, place peppers on a baking sheet and place under broiler until skin turns black, rotating peppers to completely char outside. Immediately transfer to large bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let stand 10 minutes. Remove stems and peel skins off chili peppers. Slice peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds and memebrane.
- Beverage Recommendation: Corona Extra
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.