Cauliflower Mac’n Cheese
Everyone’s favorite comfort food dinner with a healthier twist, made with cauliflower instead of pasta.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
8 cups cauliflower florets
1 ¾ cup Organic Valley Whole Milk
3 ounces Organic Valley Neufchatel Cream Cheese
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon black pepper
¾ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon sea salt (divided)
½ cup onion, diced
2 tablespoons Organic Valley Butter
¼ cup unbleached all-purpose white flour
2 cups Organic Valley Sharp Cheddar, shredded
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Steam cauliflower in strainer over boiling water until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain well. Transfer cauliflower to a 9×13 baking dish.
- Whisk milk, Neufchatel cheese, Dijon mustard, pepper, garlic powder and ¼ teaspoon salt in a small saucepan on low heat until smooth. Set aside.
- Sauté onions with ¼ teaspoon salt in butter over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add flour to onion mixture and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly whisk in the milk mixture and stir for an additional 3-4 minutes, until just simmering and creamy-thick. Add 1 ½ cups of cheese; whisk until melted, then remove from heat.
- Pour cheese mixture over the cauliflower and gently fold to coat.
- Top with remaining ½ cup cheese and bake until browned, hot and bubbly, about 20 minutes.