4 years ago
Celebrate the holidays with these minty candy cane cookies from
award-winning chef Marjorie
Johnson. Delicious with a cup of hot chocolate!
- 1 ½ cups butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red food coloring
- ½ cup crushed peppermint candy
- ½ cup sugar
- Heat your oven to 375 F.
- In a large electric mixer bowl, place butter, sugar, and extracts. Cream
together thoroughly. Beat in egg. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Stir
into butter mixture and combine well. Divide dough into two equal portions.
Blend in red food coloring in one part.
- Using 1 teaspoon of dough, roll out to a pencil-thin strip about 4-5
inches long. Rolling the strips on a pastry cloth with your hands makes a
smooth strip. Place a white strip and a red strip side by side and twist them
together. Place on ungreased cooking sheet. Turn one end to form a handle for
the cane. Roll the strips one at a time, as rolling them all at one time could
make the dough dry before you twist each one.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Place cookies on a cooling rack. Combine
crushed peppermint stick candy and sugar. Sprinkle mixture over warm cookies.
Amount: About 60
Johnson via Kare 11