Buffalo Chicken Sliders
These spicy, crunchy, insanely delicious sliders from Twin Cities food blogger greens & chocolate will be just perfect for game day!
It’s football season, which means it’s time to load up on the game day recipes! I mean, game day is all about the food, right? While I grew up watching football and going to college football games (go Hawkeyes!), I married a guy who isn’t really into football. Sure, he’ll cheer for the Vikings when he wants to, but we don’t have football games streaming on the TV all Saturday and Sunday afternoon, and we don’t carve out entire weekends to tailgate and go to games.
Part of me is okay with leaving that in the past, but sometimes I get nostalgic for those good ol’ days. I mainly miss the football food. There, I said it. I miss all the dips and chilis and meats and wings!
Even though we don’t watch football on a regular basis, I’m still going to make it a habit to cook “football food.” Who says you have to be watching men in tights tackling each other to enjoy buffalo chicken wings, anyways?
Buffalo chicken is, hands down, my favorite flavor combination to play around with. I’ve made everything from Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese to Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Casserole and Buffalo Chicken Burgers to Buffalo Chopped Salad.
Next up in my buffalo chicken creations: Buffalo Chicken Sliders! Sliders are always great when there’s a spread of food because you get the sandwich experience without committing to a full-sized sandwich. This leaves room for other things, which is pretty important when it comes to a spread of football food.
However, now that I think about it, I might just choose to fill up on these buffalo chicken sliders because they are insanely delicious. Let’s talk about what they have going on.
First, there’s a simple buffalo chicken mixture. The chicken is topped with lots of cheese and a ranch coleslaw, which adds some crunchiness and balances out the heat from the buffalo wing sauce. Then the top of the slider bun goes on, and it’s brushed with a combination of melted butter and ranch seasoning. I mean, for real! These are amazing and will win the heart (stomach?) of any football fan!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
½ cup buffalo wing sauce
2 cups coleslaw mix
1 stalk celery, chopped
½ cup L&B ranch dressing
12 slider buns*
1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon ranch seasoning mix
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add the chicken breasts, boiling until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Once the chicken breasts are cooked, remove them from the water and shred.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken and buffalo sauce.
- In a separate medium bowl, stir together the coleslaw mix, chopped celery and ranch dressing.
- Put the bottoms of the slider buns in a baking dish measuring 9 x 13 inches and top them with the buffalo chicken mixture, spreading it out evenly.
- Add the shredded cheese, coleslaw mixture and the bun tops.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter and ranch seasoning.
- Brush the butter mixture over the top of the buns, cover them with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake another 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Note: Slider buns can vary in sizes, depending on the brand/bakery, so use your judgement with this. The buns shouldn’t be packed into the 9-x-13-inch baking dish, but should fit comfortably.