Brussels Sprouts with Caramelized Red Onions
- 2 pounds small Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1 cup Water
- 2 teaspoons Salt, divided
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onion, quartered
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 4 slices crisp fried bacon, crumbled
Crisp bacon and red onion strips jazz up this attractive dish.
- In large skillet, bring Brussels sprouts, water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until sprouts are crisp-tender (4-6 minutes). Drain; plunge in ice water. Drain. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- To Serve: Bring to room temperature, about 1 hour. In large skillet, melt butter. Stir in onion and vinegar; cook over medium-high heat until onions begin to brown (5-6 minutes). Add sugar; cook and stir until onions are caramelized (about 1 minute). Add Brussels sprouts. Cook over medium heat, stirring and tossing gently, until tender and heated through. Season with 1 teaspoon salt. Transfer to serving bowl. Sprinkle with bacon.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.