Brined and Roasted Turkey Breast
Brining firms the meat and flavors it internally, producing delicately seasoned, tender, juicy meat.
- Purchase a 5-10 pound turkey breast, allowing 1/2 – 3/4 pound per person. Thaw if frozen.
- In large pot, combine 1¼ cups each kosher salt and granulated sugar. Stir in 1 1/2 gallons of water. Stir until completely dissolved. Add turkey breast to pot. (The brining solution must completely cover turkey breast). Refrigerate, covered, 12-24 hours.
- Rinse turkey breast inside and out after brining. Pat dry with paper towels. Arrange turkey breast on rack in shallow pan. Refrigerate, uncovered, 12-16 hours. (Allowing turkey breast to sit uncovered in refrigerator insures a deep golden skin when roasting).
- To Roast: Brush with vegetable oil. Roast in a preheated 325 F oven until meat thermometer reaches 165 F according to timetable (below). When turkey breast is a deep golden brown, cover with a “tent” of lightweight foil.
- Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Temperature will rise 5-10 degrees while standing.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.