Black Bean Lasagna
Black beans replace ground beef in this tasty vegetarian twist on traditional lasagna.
Makes 8 servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
2 (10-ounce) cans restaurant-style diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 (15-ounce) carton light ricotta cheese
1 egg, slightly beaten
½ cup chopped onion (1 small)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, crumbled
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 (8-ounce) package ready-to-use lasagna, divided
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (8-ounce) package 6-cheese Italian blend, shredded (2 cups)
- In medium bowl, combine canned tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin and chili powder.
- In another medium bowl, combine next 6 ingredients.
- In 9×13 baking dish, spread about 1 cup of the tomato mixture. Place lasagna noodles over sauce, covering the entire surface. Spread with half of the ricotta cheese mixture, half of the black beans and about a third of the shredded cheese.
- Spread about 1 cup of the tomato mixture on top of the cheese. Top with a second layer of lasagna noodles. Spread with remaining ricotta cheese and beans and another third of the shredded cheese.
- Spread with remaining tomato mixture and sprinkle with the rest of the shredded cheese.
- Heat oven to 375 F. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Uncover; continue to bake until hot and bubbly (about 25 minutes longer). Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares.