Black Bean Dip
From the original The Best of Byerly’s cookbook! A quick and tasty layered bean dip made with colorful peppers, crispy bacon and all your favorite Mexican toppings. Pairs well with your favorite crisp Mexican lager.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
1 (8-ounce) package bacon, coarsely chopped
1 small onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon red pepper sauce
1 package L&B Fresh Guacamole (can substitute 1 fresh avocado mashed with lime juice and salt)
¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream
½ cup chopped red bell pepper
½ cup chopped yellow bell pepper
¼ cup thinly sliced green onions, including some tops
4 ounces Colby-Jack cheese, shredded (1 cup)
1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro
L&B Tortilla Chips, for serving
- In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp; remove from pan and drain, reserving drippings.
- Return 2 teaspoons bacon drippings to skillet; add onion and sauté until tender.
- In medium bowl, mash beans; stir in bacon, onion, chili powder and red pepper sauce.
- Spoon bean mixture into a medium glass casserole dish. Top with guacamole and sour cream.
- Sprinkle with bell peppers, green onions, cheese and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.