Black Bean Burger
These burgers have everything you want in a meal: chewy quinoa, creamy black beans, crisp bell peppers and warm, earthy cumin. Plus, they’re hearty and flavorful (you won’t miss the meat) and, importantly, kid approved. They’re great for Meatless Monday or any night of the week when you want the experience of a burger, but with a lighter, plant-based protein.
Unlike the dry, disappointing veggie burgers of your past, these Black Bean Burgers stay together — no crumbly mess here! When you pair them with crunchy toppings and a soft bun, you come away with the perfect bite.
Bonus: These burgers come together in a snap, making it possible to spend less time in the kitchen and more time around the dinner table enjoying them with your family.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
¾ cup water
¼ cup quinoa
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup breadcrumbs
¼ cup minced yellow bell pepper
2 tablespoons minced white onion
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 ½ teaspoons L&B Ground Cumin
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Frank’s RedHot®
3 tablespoons L&B Extra Virgin Olive Oil
5 whole wheat buns
Arugula, for garnish
1 tomato, sliced, for garnish
1 red onion, sliced, for garnish
- To make the quinoa: In a small pot, bring the water to a simmer over high heat, then add the quinoa and let the water return to a simmer. Once simmering, turn the heat to low, cover the pot with a lid and let it cook until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- To make the burgers: In a large bowl, smash the black beans with a fork until they have a paste-like texture. Leave some beans whole.
- Add the breadcrumbs, cooked quinoa, yellow bell peppers, white onions, garlic, cumin, salt, hot sauce and egg to the bowl. Mix with your hands until fully incorporated.
- Divide the mixture into 5 even portions and form them into patties.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the patties to the pan and cook until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the patties to the buns and garnish with the arugula, tomato and red onion.
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes