Beyond California Burger
Beyond Burger mimics ground beef so well it’s hard to tell the difference between the two in recipes. It’s a fantastic meat substitute for vegetarians, vegans and omnivores who want to diversify their protein without sacrificing taste.
What we’ve learned in the test kitchen is that Beyond Burger goes from good to great when you pair it with a little fat. Cue the sun-dried tomato aioli in this easy, delicious recipe. We make it with vegan mayo, tangy sun-dried tomatoes, pungent garlic and zingy L&B Lemon Pepper Seasoning. It’s rich and full of umami, and it really makes this meal sing.
Then we pair the burgers and aioli with sweet caramelized onions, creamy avocado, juicy tomato, spicy arugula and a pillowy (yet crunchy around the edges) bun to create the perfect balance of flavors and textures for this tasty plant-based meal. Keep it in your back pocket for Meatless Mondays or anytime you want an easy dinner that feels extra special.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
For vegan sun-dried tomato aioli:
¼ cup vegan mayo
1 tablespoon finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil)
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon minced garlic
¼ teaspoon L&B Lemon Pepper Seasoning
For caramelized onions:
1 tablespoon L&B Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ tablespoon grapeseed oil
2 Beyond Burger patties
2 slices Daiya Dairy-Free Cheddar Style Cheese
2 wheat burger buns
4 slices tomato
½ avocado, sliced
1 cup baby arugula
- To make vegan sun-dried tomato aioli: in a medium bowl, combine the vegan mayo, sun-dried tomatoes, lemon juice, salt, garlic and lemon-pepper seasoning and whisk together until smooth.
- To caramelize the onions: Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and add the oil, onions and salt. Let the onions cook for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are brown and soft. Remove from heat and transfer the caramelized onions to a small bowl.
- To make the burger: In a medium skillet, heat the grapeseed oil over medium heat and add the Beyond Burger patties. Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until the patties are browned and reach an internal temp of 165 F.
- Add a slice of Daiya cheddar cheese to each patty and cover until the cheese is melted. Remove patties from the skillet and set on a plate.
- To assemble the burger, spread aioli on each side of the burger bun, add the patties, and top with tomato, avocado slices, caramelized onions and arugula.
Recipe adapted from LettuceTHRIVE