Beef Brisket Carbonnade
- 3 1/2 pounds trimmed beef brisket
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (14 12 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle porter beer
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 ribs celery, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 4 large cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
Slow baking in beer makes the brisket tender and creates a rich au jus.
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, brown meat in oil; remove from heat. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bake, covered, in a preheated 325 F oven until very tender (3-4 hours). Remove meat from liquid; cool slightly. Slice diagonally across grain into thin slices.
- To Serve: Spoon warm au jus over meat.
- Tip: Meat mixture can be spooned onto 12-16 Kaiser rolls for sandwiches.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.