Banana Split Pie
This cool, creamy recipe from Twin Cities food blogger greens & chocolate takes all the flavors of a banana split and bakes them into a pie!
A banana split is one of those desserts that sounds great in theory to me, but I never end up ordering one. Since it’s something you typically get at an ice cream shop, I prefer to go the pure ice cream route. A scoop of dark chocolate ice cream in a waffle cone and I’m good to go.
But since the flavors of a banana split work so well together, I figured, why not make a pie with them? So I did…and it was even better than I expected!
I started with a homemade graham cracker crust – which, if you’ve never made one before, is easier than you’d think. If you have a large food processor, it’s as easy as can be.
On top of the graham cracker crust I layered fresh bananas and topped them with a cream cheese/Cool Whip mixture. While I usually turn my nose at things like condensed soups and packaged soup mixes, I secretly (or now, not-so-secretly) love Cool Whip. I mean, I REALLY love the stuff. I could eat it with a spoon…and let’s just say I may or may not have helped myself to a few of spoonfuls while making this pie. I love Cool Whip and I don’t care who knows it. But I digress. If you happen to dislike it, you can definitely replace it with homemade whipped heavy cream.
The cream cheese/Cool Whip layer gets topped with crushed pineapple, strawberries and (you guessed it) more Cool Whip. Sorry, not sorry. To top it all off, I put more banana slices, some maraschino cherries, hot fudge sauce and chopped walnuts. So many flavors! And holy cow, was it delicious.
Pies like this are made for summertime. They’re easy to make, require very little baking time (this one just needs 10 minutes to bake the crust) and are cool and creamy! This Banana Split Pie would be the perfect end to a picnic or barbecue.
Banana Split Pie
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 10 sheets)
¼ cup sugar
6 tablespoons melted butter
1 banana, sliced
8 ounces cream cheese
¼ cup sugar
2 (8-ounce) containers of Cool Whip
20 ounces crushed pineapple, well drained
1 cup sliced strawberries
¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Place graham cracker sheets in a food processor and pulse until they are crumbs. Add melted butter and sugar; pulse until combined.
- Spray pie dish with cooking spray; press graham cracker mixture firmly into bottom and up the sides of the pie dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes. Let cool.
- Line graham cracker crust with sliced banana.
- In a medium bowl with electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Fold in 8 ounces of Cool Whip.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over graham cracker crust.
- Evenly spread crushed pineapple and strawberries over cream cheese layer.
- Top with remaining Cool Whip.
- Garnish with additional banana slices, cherries, hot fudge and walnuts.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.