Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
If you like banana bread, you’ll love this cake: light, tender banana
cake topped with a thin layer of cream cheese frosting. Tip: Freeze ripe
bananas in their peels in freezer bags, then thaw them out when you’re ready to
Preparation time: 2 hours
- For the
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups mashed bananas (4-6)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- For the
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ½ (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Heat oven to 350 F.
- Cream butter and sugar; beat in eggs, bananas,
buttermilk and vanilla.
- Stir in remaining ingredients just until well combined.
- Spread batter into two round cake pans. Bake until
deep golden brown (about 30-35 minutes).
- Remove from pans; allow to cool completely on wire
rack before frosting.
In a small mixing bowl, combine butter, cream
cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until creamy. Frost one cake
completely; top with the second cake and cover with the remainder of the