6 years ago
Baked Tomato Basil Penne
This delicious pasta bake can be made up to a day ahead of time; just pop it in the oven and enjoy hot comfort food, even on a busy weeknight.
Preparation time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 (12-ounce) package penne pasta
- 16 ounce Lunds & Byerlys Mild Italian Sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 (8-ounce) packages button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 (26-ounce) jars Lunds & Byerlys Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions until barely al dente; drain.
- Remove casings from sausages and break into ½-inch pieces.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onion; sauté 10-12 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, basil, thyme, 1 tablespoon parsley and salt. Cook until liquid from mushrooms has evaporated (9-11 minutes).
- Add pasta sauce and cream. Bring to a simmer; remove from heat and add pasta.
- Transfer to 4-quart baking dish. (May be refrigerated several hours or overnight at this point.)
- To bake: Bake covered, in a 350 F oven for 15 minutes (30 minutes if refrigerated); remove cover and stir. Combine cheeses and remaining parsley; sprinkle evenly over pasta. Continue baking, uncovered, until bubbly in center and cheese is melted (about 15 minutes).