Baked Mini Crab Cakes
Servings:*12 Mini Crab Cakes (2 oz each)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¾ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- ¾ teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- ¼ teaspoons onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon celery, finely chopped
- ¼ pounds crustless cubed white bread, cut into small cubes (or Panko Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
- 16-18 ounces Jumbo lump crab meat, drained
- no stick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons snipped Italian parsley
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, ¾ teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, tarragon, onion and celery to make a dressing.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the bread with half of the dressing, mixing until the dressing is absorbed by the bread and the cubes are slightly broken up. Add additional dressing if the cubes are too dry.
- Gently mix in the crab, being careful not to break up the lump pieces. The mixture should hold its shape when formed into a ball with your hand. If it is too dry, add additional dressing until the mixture comes together. You might not use all of the dressing.
- Divide the mixture and form into 16 mini crab cakes ( or 8 full size crab cakes). Place the cakes on a greased cookie sheet or sheet pan.
- In a small bowl, stir the butter together with the remaining one-half teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning. Top each cake with a small dollop of the seasoned butter.
- Bake the cakes until golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Serve with mustard mayonnaise: mayonnaise seasoned with a small amount of dry mustard, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and salt and thinned with a little cream.