Baked French Toast
- 1 loaf loaf challah or French bread, cubed
- 4 egg whites
- 2 Eggs
- 4 cups skim or low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 5 tablespoons Butter, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
From the Lunds & Byerlys Real Food, Spring 2006 issue.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In medium-size bowl, whisk together egg whites, eggs, milk, sugar, butter and maple syrup. Arrange bread cubes in a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking pan and pour egg mixture over them, pressing bread cubes with fingers or a spatula to absorb egg mixture. (Can be covered and refrigerated up to a day in advance of baking.)
- Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 more minutes or until lightly browned and set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Top with warm maple syrup, if desired.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.