- 1 package cavatappi pasta, 16 ounce
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage links, (about 3), uncooked, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 packages button mushrooms, quartered, 8 ounce
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 jars pasta sauce, 26 ounce
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Cavatappi is a short, thin, ridged spiral-shaped pasta.
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions until barely al dente. Drain. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onion; saute 10-12 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, herbs and salt. Cook until liquid from mushrooms has evaporated (about 9-11 minutes). Add pasta sauce and cream. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and add pasta. Transfer to a 4-quart baking dish. May be refrigerated several hours or overnight.
- To Bake: Bake, covered, in a preheated 350 F oven, 15 minutes; remove cover and stir. Combine cheeses and parsley; sprinkle evenly over pasta. Continue baking, uncovered, until bubbly in center and cheese is melted (about 15 minutes).
Tip: Omit the sausage to create a wonderful side dish.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.