Avocado Shrimp Lettuce Bowl
- 1/2 lemon or lime
- 1/4 teaspoon Lunds & Byerlys sea salt
- 1 pound Lunds & Byerlys raw shelled and deveined shrimp
- 3 tablespoons Spectrum Canola Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup carrots, coarsely shredded
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Thai Kitchen brand fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Lunds & Byerlys red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups avocado, diced
- TO SERVE
- 3 tbsp (divided) Thai basil*, chiffonade
- 1 head butter lettuce, washed and leaves separated
- Fill a medium saucepan with 1 quart water. Squeeze the lemon or lime juice into the pan and add the lemon half and sea salt. Bring to a boil and add shrimp. Bring to a boil again and then remove from heat allowing shrimp to sit and gently cook for 3 minutes until opaque in the center. Drain shrimp in a colander and run under cold water to cool quickly. Put into a bowl of ice water for a few minutes. Drain, dry with a paper towel, and chop shrimp into smaller bite-size pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, carrots, lime juice, fish sauce, hot pepper flakes, pepper, ginger, and garlic. Mix in shrimp. Just before serving add avocado and 2 ½ tablespoons basil (saving ½ tablespoon for garnish) to shrimp mixture and fold together.
- On a flat surface, lay six lettuce leaves facing upward like a bowl, and fill with mixture. Fill lettuce bowls with approximately 3/4 cup of shrimp mixture and garnish each with remaining basil.
Tip: Shrimp mixture can be prepared and chilled a few hours in advance, stirring in the avocado and basil, and assembling right before serving.
*Note: If Thai basil is unavailable, any basil will work. To chiffonade basil, stack leaves and thinly slice crosswise into ribbons.