Asparagus & Sun-Dried Tomato Stuffed Chicken
Fall is around the corner, but we won’t let summer go gentle into that good night. So we’re cooking up recipes packed with summer flavors and this is one of our faves from Michigan Asparagus. It’s got earthy asparagus, fresh mozzarella, sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil — and it will sustain you as autumn sets in.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
½ tablespoon L&B Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
Black pepper, to taste
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
½ cup sun-dried tomato halves with Italian herbs
12 asparagus spears, woody ends trimmed
2 tablespoons avocado oil, or cooking oil of your choice
1 lemon, sliced
Fresh basil, rough chopped, for serving
- Heat oven to 400 F. Place the chicken on a flat surface and slice it lengthwise down the middle to create a pocket.
- Season the chicken on both sides with the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stuff the chicken with the mozzarella, sun-dried tomatoes and asparagus spears.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large oven-safe pan over medium-high heat.
- Place the chicken in the pan and sear on the first side for 3 to 4 minutes. Then, flip and sear on the second side for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place the lemon slices on top of the chicken and bake for 15 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and baste it with the juices from the bottom of the pan. Top with fresh basil and serve.
Recipe source: Michigan Asparagus