3 years ago
Apple Pie Squares
This delicious fall dessert is the perfect way to make apple pie for a crowd.
Preparation time: 2 ½ hours
- 2 ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4-ounce) package shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg yolk, beaten, plus enough milk to measure ⅔ cup total
- 10 cups thinly sliced, pared apples (about 10 medium)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Lunds & Byerlys Apple Pie Spice
- 1 cup coarsely crushed corn flakes
- 1 egg white
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Combine flour, salt and optional shredded cheese into mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender.
- Toss flour mixture with egg mixture until all flour is moistened. Form into two balls, cover and refrigerate.
- Toss apples with sugar and L&B Apple Pie Spice.
- Roll out one ball of dough to fit bottom and sides of a 10×15-inch jelly roll pan. Sprinkle cereal over crust. Add apple mixture.
- Roll out remaining dough and place over apples.
- Seal edges of crust; make slits on top with knife.
- Beat egg white and brush over crust.
- Bake until golden brown, about 35-40 minutes.
Tip: No rolling pin? You can always use a wine bottle.